The National Conservation Trust Fund for Natural Resources (NCTF) was established to carry out activities related to conservation efforts such as communication, education and public awareness, research and development, management, protection and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- To carry out long term conservation plan to support natural resource management;
- Support Sustainable Forest Management (SFM);
- Conduct research and development activities in the fields of natural resources management and conservation;
- Support capacity building for the implementation of obligations and committments under Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEA) of which Malaysia is a party of; and
- Provide a transparent mechanism for receiving and chanelling funds to support natural resource management and biodiversity conservation.
Focal Areas 1: Natural Resource Management
- Projects and activities intended to involve community participation in the management, monitoring and protection of important areas of biological diversity, and environmentally sensitive areas;
- Projects and activities intended for in-situ management and monitoring of biological diversity including ecosystems and species;
- Projects and activities intended for ex-situ management and monitoring of biological diversity, local species and genetic resources; and
- Projects and activities towards mainstreaming biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of natural resources in mitigating and adaptation to climate change.
Focal Area 2: Research and Development
Funding for research and development (R&D) activities in the fields of science, technology and socio-economy related to conservation of biological diversity and sustainable management of natural resources that are aligned to conservation related policies and national commitments in multilateral environmental agreements.
Focal Areas 3: Capacity Building
- Projects and activities that foster understanding in the implementation, enforcement and improvement of policies, laws, regulations, and guidelines in the fields of conservation;
- Projects and activities for human resource development and training for conservation of biological diversity and sustainable management of natural resources, including strengthening and understanding of policies, laws, regulations, guidelines and national obligations in international conventions and forums;
- Projects and activities intended to increase public awareness through education, training, and capacity development, including supporting protection and conservation campaigns; and
- Organising seminars, courses, workshops, conferences and colloquiums funded by NCTF.
Focal Areas 4: Sustainable Financing Mechanism
Projects and activities for the implementation of sustainable financing mechanisms, financial and other sources of benefit transfer between the Federal and State governments.